http://www.one.org La Vita é Bella


Profile

A Ghanaian-born, Jersey-raised girl, doing stuff in Cameroon.


Previous

A Letter to my Malaria Prophylaxis
I’m Only Happy When it Rains
I'm Bringing Sexy Back
Oh Em Gee
Hakuna Matata
The Real World
Voulez-vous Coucher Avec Moi... Ce Soir?

Archives
septembre 2006 octobre 2006 novembre 2006 décembre 2006 janvier 2007 février 2007 mars 2007 avril 2007 mai 2007 juin 2007 juillet 2007 octobre 2007


The Hunger Site

The Child Health Site!
The Breast Cancer Site!
The Literacy Site!
The Rainforest Site!
The Animal Rescue Site!

Powered by:
Get Firefox!
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Bling

I am nerdier than 72% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!
Click for Douala R.S., Cameroon Forecast

The contents of these pages are my own and do not reflect the opinions of the United States government nor the Peace Corps.
Me 2006©

eXTReMe Tracker

Core to the Corps

Quote of the Week:
Whitney: 1) Maybe Allegra has it. 2) Well, pineapples are expensive in Maroua!
:::goes to cry a river for Whitney:::
Myriam: Si c’est la volante de Dieu !

You know those times when you’re sitting there… having a conversation to yourself. It goes something like this:
Self: God, can this possibly get any worse?
And then God, ignoring the fact that a) you were having a private conversation and b) that it was a rhetorical question, laughs in your face and responds.
God: Watch this.

Each time, I think that the recent incident has topped it all, but I am always wrong. Each time, I tempt fate to hit me in the face like the monkey that hit Jamie. So this time, when I found out the latest reason for God’s amusement, I made a conscious decision to resist my inner monologue.

So I found out about my post, a.k.a.- My home come December 14th:
a) I have no water au village.
b) I have no electricity au village.
c) I have no phone (landline nor cell) service au village.
d) I am 3 hours away from the closest “city” and over 26 hours from the capital.
e) I am 4 hours away (on a good day) from the closest volunteer in my staige.

For those of you thinking, “Umm… isn’t that Peace Corps? Isn’t that what you went through that 9-month application process to do? You could’ve had a baby during that time.” THAT is 1970s Peace Corps. An experience that is quickly disappearing and shall soon be extinct. And yes, I could’ve had a baby in that time. And be on a cool show on TLC. Most volunteers have it pretty freakin good nowadays. See Priya over at Beach Corps or get a copy of the latest national Peace Corps newsletter. Most of the PCVs have electricity and/or running water. Many even have appliances such as air conditioning, refrigerators, and ovens. Some even have internet in their houses. One of the other volunteers in my staige and province is working for CARE. They are hooking her up in an apartment with amenities and her own personal driver. Can we say “Posh Corps?”

What do I have? An oil lantern and a bucket. Is that what you were thinking?? Well, I do have those things, but I have so much more! You pessimistic les derriere-tètes (How’s my French?)! Let me tell you what I’ve got! I have got an opportunity! An opportunity to live an endangered Peace Corps lifestyle! An opportunity to utilize every skill I have acquired in my 12 years of Girl Scouting (Anyone need a knot tied? Oh wait… I never got that badge…)! An opportunity to positively impact and improve the lives of 12,000 people! An opportunity to meet Angelina Jolie! :::KEEP TELLING HERSELF THAT! KEEPS TELLING HERSELF THAT! KEEPS TELLING HERSELF THAT!:::BREATHE, STRETCH, SHAKE, LET IT GO!:::

Good thing God and I have the same sense of humor. And I know that my Dad is Hishomie, so whatever. :::Pops her collar:::

Speaking of, my Dad is going to Ghana in a few weeks to do that helping-out-type stuff that he does (wonder where I get it from). Have fun, Dad! And thanks for the package (even though, I know that Mom packed it and you probably had no idea what was in it, but I’m sure you mailed it… or taped it up… or did something useful… Thanks, Mom!)! I wish I could go see him… it’s just 3 countries away, but Peace Corps does not allow any traveling in the first 6 months of service. Pray for him! And for me! :D

Me: 3
Cameroon: 43453535

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonyme said...

oh sandra....you crack me up. I always look forward to what your gonna write next...its pretty funni. Your dad just left actually on Saturday...i didnt see him before he left though....but it was pretty funni, since ur dad isnt gonna be here for thanksgiving we had a fake one lol. anyways at least your not dead....try and eat something later cousin
-nana

11/20/2006 06:24:00 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home