http://www.one.org La Vita é Bella


Profile

A Ghanaian-born, Jersey-raised girl, doing stuff in Cameroon.


Previous

God Bless Garoua
Core to the Corps
A Letter to my Malaria Prophylaxis
I’m Only Happy When it Rains
I'm Bringing Sexy Back
Oh Em Gee
Hakuna Matata
The Real World
Voulez-vous Coucher Avec Moi... Ce Soir?

Archives
septembre 2006 octobre 2006 novembre 2006 décembre 2006 janvier 2007 février 2007 mars 2007 avril 2007 mai 2007 juin 2007 juillet 2007 octobre 2007


The Hunger Site

The Child Health Site!
The Breast Cancer Site!
The Literacy Site!
The Rainforest Site!
The Animal Rescue Site!

Powered by:
Get Firefox!
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Bling

I am nerdier than 72% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!
Click for Douala R.S., Cameroon Forecast

The contents of these pages are my own and do not reflect the opinions of the United States government nor the Peace Corps.
Me 2006©

eXTReMe Tracker

Gobble Gobble! Err… Cluck Cluck!

Quote of the Summer:
At the Ritz, seeing A Devil Wears Prada with my sister.
Sister: I have not seen a movie in the theater since Titanic came out!!
Me: …
Sister: What? That wasn’t that long ago.
Me: …
Random Woman Next To Us: :::starts cracking up::: Honey! That was 10 years ago!
Me: …


Happy Thanksgiving all! While the manly men of our PC group are out killing us a chicken or 2 (yah, for real), for our “feast” tonight I thought I would pop on over and give some thanks for my numerous blessings:D

1. The fact that I have not yet died from any of the following listed in the PC Cameroon Medical Manual: Malaria, Depression, Alcohol Abuse, Culture Shock, Typhoid, Brucellosis, Hepatitis, Dengue Fever, Amoebic Dysentery, Bacterial Dysentery, Giardia, Sunburn, Fractures, Sprains, Dehydration, Plaque, Gingivitis, Sinusitis, Constipation, Diarrhea, TB, Avian Flu, Bronchitis, Pneumonia, Ebola, Filaria, Shistosomiasis, Cholera, Tinea Pedis, Tinea Corporis, Tinea Vericolor , Lice, Plantar Warts, Hookworm, Ringworm, Staph aureus, Group A Strep, Scabies, Tinea Cruris (Jock Itch), Epididymitis, Non-Gonococcal Urethritis, Penile Lesions, Prostatitus, Maternity, Abortion, UTI, Vaginitis, HIV/AIDS, Chlamydia, Genital Warts, Gonorrhea, Herpes, LGV, Chancroid, Granuloma, PID, Syphilis, Hair Loss, Assault, Scorpion Stings, Animal Bites, Rabies, Human Bites (I know. Or actually… I don’t.). My favorite chapter in the manual is entitled, “Other Winged, Creepy-Crawly Things that May Sting, Bite, Lay Eggs on You, or Otherwise Bum You Out.” Comedic, aren’t they? You guys still want to visit me now? :D

:::knocks on wood:::

2. All of you! My Big Phat African Family! My homegirls and homeboys in Jersey, NY, Cali, Taxachusetts, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Illinois, Kansas, Maryland, Virginia, D.C., Georgia, Costa Rica, the Virgin Islands, India, Pakistan, China, Japan, Great Britain, Senegal, Nigeria, Tanzania and Ghana (Roll call: “Hot Girl Check-In?”)! My fellow volunteers! You guys are so awesomely re-inspiring to me every day! And even the poor random folk who end up at my blog by accident! :] Thank you all so very much for the wonderful comments, emails, letters, texts, packages, prayers, wishes, and love! It is appreciated more than I could ever put into words:]

3. The fact that I have electricity at my homestay. More importantly, the fact that the electricity at my homestay goes out frequently. This way my homestay family cannot see the expression on my face (unless I smile) as I am eating their delectable dinners. Additionally, when I suddenly come across something crunchy in my food, I cannot see what it is. I just tell myself that it’s “protein.”

4. My daily evening bucket baths in the latrine. I have come to love my bucket baths. I have even mastered the art of using 2 gallons of water to wash my entire body and my hair! But the best part is the sky. The moonlight and the millions of stars… So gorgeous… I wish that you could all see it.

5. The fact that training is over in 3 weeks!!

6. The fact that somehow… I am still crazily excited to be here and to do some work :]

And on that note, can I have an “Amen! Halleluiah!”? May you all have “The Itis” tonight!


“Healthy wolves and healthy women share certain psychic characteristics: keen sensing, playful spirit, and a heightened capacity for devotion… inquiring, possessed of great endurance and strength… They are experienced in adapting to constantly changing circumstances; they are fiercely stalwart and very brave.”
~ Clarissa Estes

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonyme said...

Hi,
I am Marcel's mom. I have surfed the net and found several of his fellow PCT's blogs. We love reading your blog because it augments what we get from Marcel's emails and our phone calls to him.
Hope the guys got you all some chickens for your Thanksgiving feast!
Good luck to you in your Peace Corps endeavors.
Marcel's family.

11/23/2006 07:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Just letting everyone reading this know... with Firefox 2(and maybe 1) it's really easy to fix the "weird characters" on here. I think you can do the same with IE. Go into View -> Character Encoding -> Unicode.

Hooray.

- Galen

11/23/2006 10:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Ohhhh Sangee, you're so silly :)
I hope you had a delightful Thanksgiving. We tried to make mom let us order pizza but Pizza Hut was closed. So she made us sit down at the dining room table and eat ham and stuff. We're supposedly waking up at 4am for black friday. Though I'm pretty sure no one's gonna wake up at 4. Not like I have money anyway =/ How was your chicken?

11/24/2006 05:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

HI PRETTY LADY!

First of all, oh my goodness, congrats on almost swearing in. When is your official start date? I want to know. KEEP ME INFORMED.

Love,
Priya aka Beach Corps

11/25/2006 09:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Congrtulations!! Hope you had a great thanksgiving feast...stuffed chicken?
I love to read your blog and please do care of yourself.
beachcorps' mom

11/27/2006 04:29:00 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

I could NEVER enjoy a bucket bath... unless the bucket is enormous and full of hot water and being held up high up in the air by a team of hunky blokes slowly tipping it over me as Hugh Jackman soaps me all over.

You are definitely made of hardier stock.

11/28/2006 11:40:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

awwww, i hope your thanksgiving went well!
PS: i was supposed to hang out with fred over break, but then we got a call at like 2am and we're like uhhh yeah we're leaving.
silly "junior!"

--Beachcorp's sister

11/29/2006 06:50:00 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

hi buttface! you told me to write on your blog so here i am. stop making me want to join peace corps dammit, i dont wanna have to take the mcats again. also wow shower with 2 gallons. i probably drain an entire lake every time i shower. so good job with that.

and galen the only weird character here is YOU! oh buuuurn.

bye sandra, it was nice talking to you at 5am my time :P

12/03/2006 11:18:00 AM  
Blogger Me said...

Mrs. Ricou- Bonjour! Glad to know that someone finds my rants amusing :D Sorry about your son's house Haha, he'll be okay:D

Galen- I fixed it! I think?

Animal- You kno black people don't wake up at 4 :/

Priya- Lobu!! :D

La Mere de Priya- Lobutoo! That purse and the wallet thing have been great! Merci:]

Jay- Whoa! My first celebrity comment! Thanks! I heart your blog!

Shhaaa- Lobu! Jr is not smrt :/

12/03/2006 04:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Yah! That's my mommy, the princess of my holy city - K'beng! Very proud of you Boo. Couldn't have asked the oldman above for a wiser, loving, thoughtful and caring daughter. Keep up with the good job regardless of all the unimaginable challenges. Remember that you're never alone in your quest to be of such service to the less fortunate souls of our creator. Who was it that said "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger"?

Your blog tells me that your experiences over there are priceless. The comfortable ride on Prison buses, the rich, red African dust freely and generously coloring your hair for you...Ha! You get to save all the precious $$ you'd have spent on hair coloring each year. Enjoy it!

Now, let me close by warning you all geeks and professional bloggers out there...DO NOT laugh at this newly mint blogger. This is my maiden voyage to your world so obviously you can see that I'm blogger-challenged! But give me a break and come back in two weeks to read my new comments at my princess' site and you'd put to shame to see how fast I've caught on with your crazy language...is that a language at all? And if I may ask, did you bloggers ever stepped into a grade school classroom? No offense, please...just a simple innocent question.

So long! Meet me here again soon.
It's me, the newest blogger on the block.

2/10/2007 02:09:00 PM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home