http://www.one.org La Vita é Bella


Profile

A Ghanaian-born, Jersey-raised girl, doing stuff in Cameroon.


Previous

Quickie
Last Weekend in Town
Ho Ho Ho!
Gobble Gobble! Err… Cluck Cluck!
God Bless Garoua
Core to the Corps
A Letter to my Malaria Prophylaxis
I’m Only Happy When it Rains
I'm Bringing Sexy Back
Oh Em Gee

Archives
septembre 2006 octobre 2006 novembre 2006 décembre 2006 janvier 2007 février 2007 mars 2007 avril 2007 mai 2007 juin 2007 juillet 2007 octobre 2007


The Hunger Site

The Child Health Site!
The Breast Cancer Site!
The Literacy Site!
The Rainforest Site!
The Animal Rescue Site!

Powered by:
Get Firefox!
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Bling

I am nerdier than 72% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!
Click for Douala R.S., Cameroon Forecast

The contents of these pages are my own and do not reflect the opinions of the United States government nor the Peace Corps.
Me 2006©

eXTReMe Tracker

Rewind

Quote of the Week:
Nigerian Nurse Ann: Sooo… Bird Flu…

Swearing-In: After passing my Language Proficiency Exam, I was sworn in as an official full-fledged volunteer on December 13th. The ceremony was a big unnecessary to-do. The ambassador was there, as well as numerous other Embassy employees and every Cameroonian official in the North. It was kind of ridiculous. We all had to take an oath… something about protecting the USA from all domestic and foreign enemies… erm… sure?

Moving-In: Out of the 32 people originally in our group, there are now 29 (15 Health/14 Agro). Being the Sahel group, we are stationed in the 3 northern provinces of Cameroon: The Adamaoua, The North, and The Extreme North. 5 of us are in the Adamaoua (the most underdeveloped region and home of your’s truly), 11 in the North, and 13 in the Extreme North. So, we all went our separate ways on Thursday morning. Me and my Adamaoua girls loaded all our junk onto a bus at the crack of dawn… Everything… 5 bikes, 5 huge metal trunks, countless bags and boxes… on a bus full of a billion other people. It was pretty crazy, but this was the better part of our journey.

After the 4 hour bus ride to Ngaoundere (the provincial capital of the Adamaoua), we went our separate ways again; unloading all our junk from the bus and reloading it onto separate “bush” cars… which are smaller than the busses, but seem to have way more people… and goats… and chickens. We affectionately refer to them as “prison busses.” These things look like they are straight out of the movie Sarafina. I cannot even put into words what a nightmare it was. The Adamaoua is infamous for many things, among these things are orange/red dirt “roads” from hell and more dust than… um… hhmm… :::insert clever analogy here::: When I arrived at my village, my clothes and my skin were literally orange (minus the part of my face which my sunglasses were covering), I smelled like goat, and I could not feel my legs after having some squished in the same position for so many hours. I just wanted a shower and a nap. Then I remembered that I did not have running water, nor a bed. I entered my house and laid down on the floor. Other than having my house broken into and being robbed… not too much else happened that first day!

Moving On: As I mentioned in my last post, the majority of the people in my village are uneducated, so they do not speak French. So, I spent 3 months beating myself to learn French and it is now of very little use to me:D For the following 3 months, I will be beating myself to learn the native language, Fufulde. The town has taken to calling me “Madame Docteur.” I have tried to explain to them that I am not a Madame, and that I am certainly not a doctor… but the name seems to be sticking :/ C’est la vie.

Important Things: The girls and I met up in Ngaoundere for Christmas. It was obviously not the Christmas I am used to, but it was highly entertaining. We went to this club where Kelly made friends with the bartender, so we got free drinks all night :D Yah, Kelly! And we danced like there was no tomorrow… you kno I broke it down… that’s right. J Cameroonians girls kept asking us where we learned to dance and tried to copy our moves :] We met up again for my bday and New Year’s. We also ran into some volunteers from another staige, so they came out with us too. Good times. Thanks guys :] We miss all of u non-Adamaoua people! Did you get our letter? Happy New Year’s to all:D

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonyme said...

Happy belated birthday, Bubu.
The holidays wasn't complete with you far away from home. I hope, like the girl scout you are, that you made the best out of what you have over there.
We all miss you so much.

Take care
God bless
Love,

Mom

1/01/2007 11:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Happy Birthday Sandra!!!! omg your 22...so old...and omg im 20 crazyness! anywho hope ur having a blast over there lol stay safe and dont die

love u!!

-nana

1/02/2007 04:05:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Man it seems weird how our lives path take these detours that we never can comprehend. I'm officially hooked to your blog but don't worry I'm not a sicko...Sandra I'm extremely proud of you...Nana (Nana Efua Wilmot's sister in ALBANY)

1/06/2007 04:26:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

I missssss you <3

1/07/2007 04:24:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey!

We did get your letter (and I miss you all too). So far only Matt and myself have read it, but I'll try to be better about passing it around. I hope things are going better in your house now and you like your town!

Miss you!
Whitney

1/08/2007 04:38:00 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Mommy- Hiiii! You know that I am a survivor. Or just crazy. Either way, don't worry about me:]

Nana- We're like 5 years old, you weirdo! Yo, you better give me the hookup at Express :p And why have I only received an email from Bina?? Where are the ones from you and your mom? Does your mom know how to email? :/ My mom learned, so I'm sure she can too.

The cooler Nana- Hey! Very good to hear from you:D I hope that all is well back in my former home of smAllbany:] I am glad that I am providing a bit of amusement for you during your study breaks:D Take care:]

Animal- Everyone misses me:/ I have people offering to pay me to come back home. It is hard being so special. True story >:]

Whitney- Hiii! :D You guys are so far away! Thanks for the messages! And you are so right. Comparatively, Jay is like GQ's Man of the Year. Hi Jay! :D Hope you guys are being troopers too:] Take care of your woman.

1/12/2007 03:17:00 PM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home