http://www.one.org La Vita é Bella


Profile

A Ghanaian-born, Jersey-raised girl, doing stuff in Cameroon.


Previous

You Know You’ve Been “En Brousse” Too Long When (Y...
Rewind
Quickie
Last Weekend in Town
Ho Ho Ho!
Gobble Gobble! Err… Cluck Cluck!
God Bless Garoua
Core to the Corps
A Letter to my Malaria Prophylaxis
I’m Only Happy When it Rains

Archives
septembre 2006 octobre 2006 novembre 2006 décembre 2006 janvier 2007 février 2007 mars 2007 avril 2007 mai 2007 juin 2007 juillet 2007 octobre 2007


The Hunger Site

The Child Health Site!
The Breast Cancer Site!
The Literacy Site!
The Rainforest Site!
The Animal Rescue Site!

Powered by:
Get Firefox!
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Bling

I am nerdier than 72% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!
Click for Douala R.S., Cameroon Forecast

The contents of these pages are my own and do not reflect the opinions of the United States government nor the Peace Corps.
Me 2006©

eXTReMe Tracker

The Road to Perdition

Quote of the Week: Glen- If anyone sees my n*** rolling around on the floor… (On the prison bus… on our way back from Tibati… on a particularly turbulent, pot-hole filled “road.”)

I have nothing exciting to tell you guys this week (Yes, yes. Make your joke. “Do you ever?” HAhahaa… moving on), so I guess I will tell you about our first provincial meeting. To give you a sense of how enticing provincial meetings are to us PCV freshmen, I will let you know that Kelly and I were still trying to get out of it as we were boarding the prison bus in Ngaoundere. The meeting was in Tibati (home of Alana).

Alana… Girl, you know I love you… As a matter of fact, if love were measured in the amount of hours in which one is willing to sit on a prison bus and jeopardize one’s fertility… well, then that would mean that I love you more than anyone in the world. Anyhow, my point is that… unless Papa John’s, The Cheesecake Factory, and/or Chippendale’s rolls up into your hood… I will be seeing you somewhere again… but that somewhere will not be Tibati.

Those stewped bush taxis are meant to hold 20 people comfortably and 25, uncomfortably. I swear that there were at least 6,000 people in our car. For 7 hours, I was squished in this piece of junk… could not move my legs… could not move my knees… could not move my arms… I could not even flex a butt cheek. Horrendous. Also, our prison bus had no glass in the windows… just big open squares… Now, even in the prison busses with windows, I still ingest 50 million lbs. of dust per hour. Without windows… I looked like I had eaten too much spice on Arrakis or something (Yah, yah. I know. But Felipe made the reference too, so I'm not the only dork:p). I was seriously expecting a huge worm to come out of the ground and eat me. Actually, I was praying that it would come any minute and end my misery.

Seven hours… on a prison bus… with no windows. My hair literally turned a bright reddish brown from all of the dust. The rest of them made fun of me, saying that I looked like The Picture of Dorian Gray, cuz every time they looked at me, my hair was a lighter shade of red. It was hard to respond though. The road was so bad, at times, that it felt like someone was rapidly and continuously banging on your back, so all of our words reverberated. At one point, I thought that I could actually feel my organs collapsing. Once we got back to Ngaoundere (after the clouds departed, the angels descended, and we all sang rejoicefully at the paved roads), I was still washing dust out of my hair after my third shower at the mission.

As for the actual meeting itself… Like I said… love you guys… but can our next provincial meeting be done in an online chat room? My body cannot handle anymore abuse, and if I want to dye my hair red… I’ll get some henna :/

TMI- I finally understand why so many PCVs go commando so often… It is amazing that such simple things make us so happy… weekly showers… edible food… etc.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonyme said...

FIRST of all, that TMI....gross much?
Hahahaha doesn't that taxi bring you back to your tro-tro experience?? Can't run away from the tro-tro, Sandra! Mwuahha giggle, good thing I never had to ride in one. Anywho, I hope you're doing well and staying safe. Hopefully you are eating better things than that nasty kashi nonsense you eat at home! I'll work on getting mommy to send you computer games and such. Misssss you. Love, me

2/01/2007 12:37:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

I love you :)

2/08/2007 04:01:00 AM  
Blogger Me said...

There is no such thing as "TMI" in "PC." Fortunately, or unfortunately:/ But there are too many acronyms:p And no Kashi >:[

2/11/2007 09:49:00 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home