http://www.one.org La Vita é Bella


Profile

A Ghanaian-born, Jersey-raised girl, doing stuff in Cameroon.


Previous

The Road to Perdition
You Know You’ve Been “En Brousse” Too Long When (Y...
Rewind
Quickie
Last Weekend in Town
Ho Ho Ho!
Gobble Gobble! Err… Cluck Cluck!
God Bless Garoua
Core to the Corps
A Letter to my Malaria Prophylaxis

Archives
septembre 2006 octobre 2006 novembre 2006 décembre 2006 janvier 2007 février 2007 mars 2007 avril 2007 mai 2007 juin 2007 juillet 2007 octobre 2007


The Hunger Site

The Child Health Site!
The Breast Cancer Site!
The Literacy Site!
The Rainforest Site!
The Animal Rescue Site!

Powered by:
Get Firefox!
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Bling

I am nerdier than 72% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!
Click for Douala R.S., Cameroon Forecast

The contents of these pages are my own and do not reflect the opinions of the United States government nor the Peace Corps.
Me 2006©

eXTReMe Tracker

Roses & Thorns (aka- The Valentine’s Day Entry) *CBT

* CBT = Cheesy, But True. A warning for those of you who like to skip the sentimental posts. I know that I do.

As some of you already know, we used to hafta do this stewped activity at the end of our RA meetings called “Roses and Thorns.” It was a basically a time to b*tch about all of your residents and then applaud yourself for accomplishing great tasks, such as not getting drunk until your 14th shot at that party last night. Anyhow, as many of you already know. I hated these meetings, in general (It was worse than the staff meetings at Summertech. Love you, Steve!). But specifically, I hated Roses & Thorns. Mine usually went something like this:

Thorn: I hate that I have to participate in Roses and Thorns
.
Rose: On the bright side, this means that we are almost done with this pointless meeting. Then, I can go watch America’s Next Top Model and pretend to study for P. Chem.

Alas, I have found inspiration in the thing which once I hated. C’est la vie.

ThOrNs
:
I hate the fact that:
  • People take so much for granted; worrying endlessly about what they don’t have rather than nurturing and cherishing what they’ve already got.
  • Americans are more likely to show compassion towards strangers than to family and “friends.”
  • People constantly flap their jaws about their “strong convictions” of which they know nothing of. Unfortunately, for the rest of us, these loud, empty opinions affect the lives of millions of people (ie. Stem-cell research, nuclear power, “solutions” to poverty, etc.). I am still waiting for the day in which I encounter a politician who can actually tell me the difference between multipotent, pluripotent, and totipotent cells. Go read a book, go back to college, or shut up and accept the fact that you don’t know everything… not even what you are preaching as truth.
  • In a world where so many die of hunger, so many more die a different death because they are starved for something so much easier to provide: love.
  • So many girls and woman don’t know their own worth; and instead, they allow themselves to be defined by other people.
  • Very few mothers know how (or do not care to put in the effort) to raise real men nowadays.
  • Most people (myself included) tend to blame the aforementioned on the women, when we all know that fathers also need to step it up and start leading by example.
  • I missed my Dad’s surprise birthday party (but I hear it was fantabulous!).
  • Africa, land of my birth, has become a continent of beggars with an absurd sense of entitlement.
  • Westerners continue to throw money at the above problem. This is what created this phenonemen in the first place.
  • A disgustingly large percentage of this money from NGOs is grossly mismanaged. A gamillion people die, not because there is no money, but because of the rampant (and even worse, accepted) corruption in third-world countries. You know that check you sent to that well-known organization to help children in Africa get medical care? Yah, well… unless you did your research and chose very wisely… that money was probably used by a government official or healthcare administrator to buy him/her a new car or a house or several expensive prostitutes. Awesome.
  • Some of the men who work at my health center make the poorer female patients (teenagers and women) pay via sexual favors. This makes me want to vomit continuously. And I can do nothing about it without risking my own safety.
ROSES! I am so grateful that:
  • I have this opportunity.
  • I still have my best friends from elementary, middle, high school, and college. We laugh in the faces of time and distance, for they have only made us closer. Along with my family, they are my heart; the loves of my life.
  • I have more than one “love of my life;” and that I was lucky enough to know, recognize, and experience love so young.
  • My parents raised us well. My brothers and sisters have become beautiful people, both inside and out. They will accomplish great things. Scratch that. They already have:]
  • I keep encountering the most amazing people from all walks of life. Teachers, missionaries, mon blanchisseur (my laundryboy), random people on the street (Hey Brad!), random people on Amtrak (Hey Krista!!), other PCVs (Hey, you crazies! Miss yoouu), and all the other glorious people who haphazardly light my path.
  • I got an excellent education at one of the best (read- nerdiest) colleges ever.
  • I am very easily amused.
  • We once made our sister eat grass (see above statement).
  • Although, we are poor black folk, my Mommy found a way to throw my Dad the party of his lifetime.
  • In my provincial capital, I can buy a 2002 Merlot-Cabernet Sauvignon from Mont Flory, France for $8. And some delicious French cheeses (camembert, brie, beaufort, you name it) for about $4. The bright side of living in a former French colony:p
  • I traded Kelly a Gin & Tonic (liquid gold) for a Burt’s Bees Shampoo Bar (Divine, though I only get to use it the 2 or 3 times a month which I actually have the opportunity to shower).
  • I can travel to different dimensions (sans alcohol and/or other drugs). Yah, that’s right :D
  • I have a Solio, which is lovingly wedded to my Ipod. Truly, a match made in heaven. It has preserved my sanity so many times that I have lost count.
  • The lovely ladies at the patisserie already know what I want when I walk in (une Charlotte Russe, une jus mélange, et une Mambo. Quelquefois, avec une beignet avec sucre), cuz I am there every time I am in Ngaoundere :]
  • I can school pretty much all of you on any dance floor on any given day >:D
  • I am so modest.
  • People actually read this blog, and that it actually amuses some of you.
  • I have always had the most awesome birthdays ever, and this past one in Cameroon was no exception :] Thanks girls :]
  • Running water and electricity await me upon my return to the “U.S. and A.”
  • Time flies when you’re having fun… or dying :]
On a final note, with all of your comments and e-mails, you guys have had me laughing and/or crying like a crazed fool in the internet cafes. People have actually moved away from me and/or asked me if I needed help. Someone, somewhere, once said something like, “Greatness is measured by your gifts, not your possessions.” The presence of each one of you makes me greater and greater. Merci Beaucoup :]


7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonyme said...

Bonjour, Finally got Erica to give me your blog address. I can't wait to read all about what you are doing. Your dad's party was a blast. He (and me) and everyone is so proud of you. Hope you're doing well. Love, Mrs. F

2/14/2007 07:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Sangeeeee, I miss you. Guess what?! I got into Wesleyan Early Decision! I wasn't supposed to find out until tomorrow but I got the "big envelope" today! I'm so happy, I was freaking for like a whole two hours today! HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY. I love you. If you were nearby, I'd give you Valentine's Day kisses and you'd love them cause you love me! :)
This entry made me teary eyed :(
A) "We once made our sister eat grass" -- That was not amusing >=[
B) "My parents raised us well...etc" -- I agree. You're beautiful tooooo :)
C) "I can school pretty much all of you on any dance floor on any given day >:D" -- You STILL can't drop it like it's hot!
Anyway. As I was saying. I love you. And I miss you. And it's 2007, and in 2008, you'll be home. I can't wait. I will hire strippers for you (Cause I'll be 18) You know how we do :) LOVE YOU

2/14/2007 10:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Hey Sandra,
This particular post moved me to tears. You write very well. I keep up with your blog. Your parents must be so... proud of you.And so are we.
Happy Belated Valentine's Day!!
We are going to visit Priya in March!
Cant wait to see her.
love, Priya's mom

2/17/2007 12:04:00 AM  
Blogger Me said...

Mrs. F- Hello!! It's been forever! Hope all is well with you and the girls:] I'm glad you all had fun at the party, even though I do not see how it could have been THAT much fun... since I was not there:]

Animal- That was scene was so amusing :D Why are you pretending that you actually have the money to hire strippers? :/ Congrats on WU! Told you not to worry about it:p

Mrs. Priya's Mom- I promise that my next post will be less... girly:D Haha, Priya was just saying to me how PC makes you cheesy. When are you and Neesha leaving? Hope you have a wonderful time! Wish I could come:]!

2/26/2007 08:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Sandra...i think this post is fantabulous. Your line about taking stuff for granted was something i found out for myself on a trip to Zimbabwe for a missions trip. The first time a served a kid juice in the filthiest water bottle my eyes have seen I almost threw up. We're blessed and I am so proud of you that you cannot imagine.YOur future is great and I am honored to know you.

3/12/2007 12:47:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonyme said...

Oh my bad...that Zimbabwe thing is from your fan in ALbany,NY...Nana. Oh by the way I got into med school(Ross U- DOminica). ALthough it is far away I will take it cause there are people waiting to be cured...hahaha

3/12/2007 12:51:00 AM  
Blogger Me said...

Aww!! Nana! You so sweet! :] I hear ya with the water bottles, like whoa :D Congrats on medical school!! I have another friend down there now:] I might be joining you guys in a year or two :D Best of luck, girl:] Tell your sister I said "Yo!" and thank her very much for the Christmas card! Which I received about 2 weeks ago:D Haha:D Ghetto, rite? I kno:]

3/12/2007 08:29:00 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home